Date: April 20, 2021
1. Aung Myo Htet, a staff member of the Institute for Strategy and Policy – Myanmar (ISP-Myanmar), was detained by state security forces while sitting in a tea shop in Kanbalu, Sagaing region on the morning of April 20.
2. The authorities have not given any reason for his detention and there is no news available about his treatment in custody. ISP-Myanmar and his family are deeply concerned about his safety. We demand that authorities permit Aung Myo Htet to exercise his right to legal counsel and to have family visitors immediately.
3. ISP-Myanmar calls for the immediate and unconditional release of Aung Myo Htet without any charges.
4. Aung Myo Htet has worked for ISP-Myanmar since 2019. He is the former journalist and editor of The Voice Weekly and Tanintharyi Journal.
5. ISP – Myanmar is an independent, non-partisan and non-governmental think tank, established in 2016.